Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Crumbs Bake Shop




Last weekend I finally had the chance to try Crumbs Bake Shop in Beverly Hills. Yes, I've had Sprinkles cupcakes from both the Newport and Beverly Hills locations. And, yes, I like the cupcakes at Sprinkles. I think they have an amazing vanilla cake that I haven't tasted anything like anywhere else. The color is very white, so I think the recipe may include fewer egg yolks, but I'm getting off topic. I purchased 4 cupcakes total. They kind of tricked me into the 4th one because I had picked out 3, but the box had 4 "cupcake holes" (a technical term), so of course I had to fill it up. Actually, the box itself deserves praise. The smart design meant that there was no cupcake slippage, and no frosting contamination. You know what I'm talking about, when the cream cheese frosting infiltrates the chocolate frosting without permission. 

The Artie Lange

The 4 flavors I picked: Artie Lange, Carrot, Peanut Butter Cup, and Vanilla. The Artie Lange is a unique flavor. This is the Crumbs website description: "The Artie Lange cupcake was created by Artie himself live on the Howard Stern Show in 2008. Vanilla cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting filling, topped with vanilla cream cheese frosting dipped in chocolate fondant and edged with chocolate and vanilla sprinkles. A portion of the proceeds from the Artie Lange cupcake is donated to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital." I wish I could say that I picked this one because of the charity donation, but that would be a lie. My only complaint was that the fondant was more for looks than flavor, in my opinion.

 Peanut Butter Cup

The unstoppable combination of peanut butter frosting and chocolate cake, need I say more?


Carrot

I enjoyed the carrot cupcake even more than I expected, due in part to the absence of raisins. The cream cheese frosting on it was very moist and there was plenty of it.


 Vanilla

Ok, so I have a confession. I froze the vanilla cupcake for another time. It was Thanksgiving week and I didn't want it to get stale, so I froze it. The Crumbs website said I could, so there.

Overall impression: I really enjoyed the cupcakes and thought they were a pretty good value. The vanilla was $2.95 and the others were $3.75, and the cupcakes are huge. They also have a few flavors in mini sizes. Unfortunately, there are no Orange County locations yet. There are other LA locations in Calabasas, Glendale, Larchmont, and Malibu and they will also ship their cupcakes.

Crumbs Bake Shop
9465 Little Santa Monica Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90291
T 310 550 9811

No comments: