Thursday, December 17, 2009

Vegas and Lobster Ravioli

So I've been slacking a bit. I was on a roll during my Thanksgiving break, but then it was back to reality. I just spent the weekend in Vegas seeing the Dierks Bentley concert (which was fantastic, even though he didn't take the stage until midnight!). We had some great meals that I'll detail soon. This week I am consumed by my teaching duties and 2 finals in the master's math courses I'm taking. Oy. It will be over very soon. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I will leave you with one quick meal idea that has become somewhat of a staple in our house. It's a Trader Joe's lover's dream. Lobster ravioli with a saffron cream sauce and peas. The ravioli sounds fancy and expensive, but it's only 3 bucks and easily feeds 2-3 people. The saffron at Trader Joe's is the most reasonably priced saffron I've found. The cream from TJ's also deserves a mention. It has a high butterfat content so it's incredibly viscous, a beautiful sight to behold as it exits the bottle.

To make the dish, saute 1 garlic clove, 1/2 a small diced onion (or 1 shallot) in olive oil until softened, add 1/2 cup (or so) of cream, a pinch of saffron, salt & pepper to taste, and simmer for a few minutes until it thickens a bit. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of peas and the cooked ravioli, and stir to coat everything with the sauce. Easy, fast, and tasty.

Okay, back to studying. More to come soon...

No comments: